Introducing the New and Improved Windows LAPS: Local Administrator Password Solution
We have some exciting news for IT admins and security enthusiasts! Microsoft has just announced the availability of the new and improved Windows LAPS (Local Administrator Password Solution). This updated version comes with a host of enhancements to better secure the local administrator accounts on your deployed Windows devices. Let's dive into the details of this fantastic update!
Windows LAPS is now available for the following Windows editions:
- Windows 11 Pro, EDU, and Enterprise
- Windows 10 Pro, EDU, and Enterprise
- Windows Server 2022 and Windows Server Core 2022
- Windows Server 2019
So, what's new with Windows LAPS? Here are some of the key updates:
- Natively Integrated into Windows: No more need to install an external MSI package. Future fixes or feature updates will be delivered via the standard Windows patching process.
- Azure Active Directory Support (private preview): Windows LAPS now works in conjunction with Azure AD, offering benefits such as password retrieval via Microsoft Graph, Azure RBAC policies, and Intune management.
- New Capabilities for On-Premises Active Directory Scenarios: With features like password encryption, password history, and Directory Services Restore Mode (DSRM) password backups, on-premises AD users get a significant security boost.
- Rich Policy Management for both Azure AD and On-Premises AD: Enjoy advanced policy management through Group Policy and Configuration Service Provider (CSP).
- Additional Features: Windows LAPS now comes with a dedicated event log, an improved PowerShell module, and support for hybrid-joined devices.
With these updates, Windows LAPS offers a comprehensive solution for securing your local administrator accounts, whether you're using Azure Active Directory or on-premises Active Directory. We highly recommend adopting these new features to benefit from the enhanced security measures.
Start using Windows LAPS in your existing deployment today and strengthen your security posture. Keep an eye out for the public preview announcement of Azure AD support in the coming months.
Error message after the April Patch Tuesday
Source: By popular demand: Windows LAPS available now! - Microsoft Community Hub